Battlefield 1 – PlayStation 4
Tap the unexplored territory of the first World War and infuse it with Battlefield sensibilities
From the fog-covered trenches to the sun-drenched deserts, this is one of the most picturesque games available today
DICE has always excelled at surrounding players with the cacophonous sounds of battle, and BF 1 is no different. However, the proximity sound of encroaching enemies is curiously (and frustratingly) absent
Fluid controls guide the shooting, tank-driving, and plane-piloting experiences
The World War I setting is a refreshing change of pace to the space shooters currently dominating the landscape
When the opposition pushes all of its war assets toward one beachhead, sometimes it’s smarter to avoid that fight altogether and make headway by creating another front. While Call of Duty, Titanfall, Halo, Destiny, Gears of War, and many other shooters compete in a sci-fi battle royale, DICE instead dove deeper into the annals of military history to reveal a singular first-person shooter gem: Battlefield 1.
The World War I setting feels refreshingly different than the modern sensibilities of contemporary Battlefield games. Biplanes, rudimentary tanks, and cavalry replace the jets, attack choppers, and missile guidance systems that rained death on combatants in recent entries. Most guns have a much shorter range than modern precision rifles, and in general the combat is more brutish. With a startling array of gory melee kills, this may be the bloodiest Battlefield game to date. In between mortar blasts and gunfire, the battlefield rings out with the tortured screams of soldiers being burned alive by incendiary grenades and flamethrowers, the violent coughs of those hit with mustard gas, and the savage battle cries of infantry charging toward enemies with their bayonets. These serve as constant reminders of the vicious nature of a war fought by more than 70 million people across the globe.
The most welcome change to the Battlefield combat is the return of destructibility; buildings haven’t crumbled this remarkably since Bad Company 2. Tank shells turn wooden homes into splinters, decimate concrete windmills, and rip apart everything in between, leaving the maps in ruins after the dust settles. Weather plays a serious role in forcing tactical flexibility as well. When dense fog or intense sandstorms set in, sniping and lobbing tank shells from afar lose their value and you must venture closer to the objectives to turn the tides of battle. When a team falls far enough behind, they receive reinforcements in the form of the behemoth vehicles – a zeppelin, armored train, or battleship. In my experience these heavily armed juggernauts didn’t always help the losing team gain the upper hand, but they definitely cut the gap thanks to their forceful artillery barrages and use as a new spawn point that can place players much closer to their objective.
- Epic 64-Player Multiplayer Battles – Squad up with your friends and join in the most epic multiplayer battles in FPS history with up to 64 players. Fight as infantry, lead horse charges or take control of amazing vehicles on land, air and sea, from tanks and biplanes to the gigantic Behemoths.
- Experience the Dawn of All-out War – Be a part of the greatest battles ever known to man. From the heavily defended Alps to the scorching deserts of Arabia, war is raging on an epic scale on land, air and sea as you witness the birth of modern warfare.
- No Battle is Ever the Same – Dynamic weather and intuitive destruction create an ever-changing landscape. Make your mark on the world with earth-shattering destruction, whether you’re blasting craters in the ground with artillery strikes or ripping apart walls with gunfire.
- Push the Frontline in Operations – Take part in a series of inter-connected multiplayer battles spread across multiple maps in the new Operations. Attackers must break through the lines of defenders, and push the conflict onto the next map.
- Massive Behemoths – Pilot some of the largest vehicles in Battlefield history. Rain fire from the sky in a gargantuan Airship, tear through the world in the Armored Train, or bombard the land from the sea in the Dreadnought.
- War Stories from the Far Edges of the World – Discover a world at war through an adventure-filled campaign that captures the variety of a global conflict through the eyes of several different characters all united by this first modern war.